Background

Friday, January 10, 2014

Loopy Felt Flower Headband Tutorial

Having a baby girl means that I make a lot of headbands! They are so fun and easy to make, and doing it myself saves me a lot of money! One of the easiest and cutest ones I've found has gotten Zia so many compliments that I feel like I have to share it!



I originally shared this picture when I announced my Etsy shop in this post. I figured out how to do it from this post over at Craftiness is Not Optional (another blog I really love). I had a pretty hard time finding this tutorial after seeing a picture with no tutorial floating around on Pinterest. I was so happy when I finally found it, and I hope my post helps even more people find this adorable method for making headbands.

Forgive the bad lighting, as usual. Nighttime crafting makes for dark pictures! Mom's gotta do it while she can though, right? :)

To make one of these adorable headbands, you will need:
Felt (acrylic or wool will work--I used cheap acrylic felt)
Green felt scraps for leaves
Hot glue gun and glue
Scissors
Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler (optional, just makes it a little easier)
Soft elastic for headband

First off, cut two strips of felt along the longer edge of your felt. I made my strips 2x11 inches, but you can really do any size depending on how big you want your flower to be.


 Now get your hot glue gun and glue along one edge. Fold the other side up so that it is folded "hot dog style." Make sure you do this pretty fast so your glue doesn't cool before you finish.


After doing this with both strips, you will have two long, skinny pieces.


They should look something like this.


Using sharp craft scissors (tiny ones would be ideal), cut from the folded side until you hit the hot glue. I made two white flowers--one with small petals (just under 1/4 inch), the other with large petals (closer to 1/3 inch). Look at the finished product below to decide which size you like better. Use the same size snips on both pieces. (Don't follow this picture for your two strips. I was just trying to show the two sizes I tried for my two flowers.)


 Now glue just a little bit of the bottom portion where you didn't cut...


...And roll tightly, holding in place until it sets.


Keep gluing and rolling.


It should start to look like this on the "good" side.



When joining the second piece of felt to the flower, just glue it right next to the end of the other strip. Don't worry, you can't even tell where they start and end once the flower is finished! Keep gluing and rolling until you finish the second strip.

I probably should have cropped this picture down a little more, but I just love all those happy little soon-to-be-flower strips in the background. :P
 Flatten out the finished product a little bit by gently pushing the loopy petals away from the center. That's it for the flower! 

The back will look something like this.


The front will look like this.


 Here is the difference between the two petal sizes. I like both looks, but I think I like the smaller petals better for the white flower.


Now go and make a bunch of these in lots of different colors!



 I have also made tiny flowers using one 1x11 inch strip. They are pretty cute. :)


You can even mix-and-match colors, if you want!


Aren't they fun?


Here is a close-up of the smaller flowers.


From this angle, you can tell that each color of felt has a slightly different texture. Keep that in mind when you're buying your supplies. I like the softness of the pink and red felt, but the lavender felt makes the petals look a little more distinct.


 The little ones are cute, but I am in love with the big ones. I have made so many!
 

 To take this simple flower one step farther, you can pair a large and small flower together on a clip or headband.




The very last step is to glue on some felt leaves and a soft headband! (I use this chart to help me figure out about how big to make headbands. Measuring on your baby will be the most accurate, though!)


Then put it on a cute baby and admire your handiwork, of course. ;)


And make up a nickname for your silly baby who loves to pull her headbands down. (Zia Crooked-Bow--She's so tiny in this picture!)


 You can't see it very well in this picture, but she is wearing one of the tiny flowers.


This one, to be exact.



 Anyway, sorry about the picture overload. I just think these are so much fun. I hope you make a bunch and love them as much as I do! I only made the two headbands for Z originally, so I am excited to have so many more for her!

If you want one of these headbands made just for you, check out my Etsy shop! This listing is for one of the large flower headbands, but I do custom orders, too! Just send me a message. I love working with people to create just what they have in mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment